FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Checking firearms
View Single Post
Old Jun 20, 2011, 4:16 pm
SATTSO

Originally Posted by StanSimmons
I've had that situation occur, but in my case, the luggage was sent on to the correct airport without it being molested by the TSA.

Upon landing, and not finding my luggage, I immediately let the AA baggage people know that a bag with a firearm inside it was missing. You should have seen the firedrill that ensued. I've never seen so many AA supervisors in one place. I never bothered to tell them that it was a flare gun.

A few hours later the luggage was delivered to my hotel, undamaged, and locks intact. The fact that my locks were hardened boron steel probably had something to do with them being intact.

I doubt you had the situation I described. There are bags put on the incorrect plane, which the airline employees catch before they make it to the baggage claim area (non-sterile area). Those bags can be sent to their proper location without being screened.

And then it ASLO depends on the set up of the baggage screening area at the airport. Most L3s or CTXs will clear a bag without the need to open, even with a gun in it. Sometimes not. And sometimes those machines are not available so every bag has to be opened by hand.

So again, your situation was not the one I was describing.