FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The guys up front
View Single Post
Old Jun 20, 2011, 9:51 am
johnslloyd

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
The guys up front

earned their money late last night in ABQ. I was on Flt 2633 LAS-ABQ which was late and arrived about 11:30. ABQ winds were in the 40-50 mph range, swirling and gusting and I learned later there had been microbursts in the area. The plane was getting thrown all over the place on late final & I was as concerned as I've ever been on a 737. As a private pilot myself, this approach was deteriorating by the second. Captain initiated a late go-around and the 2nd time was better, if still hairy, and got us down. Once on the ground, Captain announced that the First Officer had made the landing. Runway 8-26 at ABQ (we were on 8) is one of the longest and widest anywhere and the 737 used a lot more of it than normal. That was one really good, smart call to initiate the go-around. Once in the terminal I learned that at least one other SW flight (coming from DEN) had also done a go-around at about the same time.