FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Actually found low award space, but refusing to book it
Old Jun 18, 2011, 2:51 pm
SamuelS

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Actually found low award space, but refusing to book it

Using a lot of the tips from some of the great FTers on the DL forums here, I was able to find low award availability for a multi-leg journey, with stopover.

EDI-ORD-LAS (via AMS and MEM), LAS-YYC (via MSP) and YYC-EDI (via AMS).

Better still, when I phoned in to get them to put all the one way legs I found together, it actually came up with low 60,000 award level. ^

The only beef? The "taxes, fees and fuel surcharges" (fuel surcharges being bottom line revenue to the airlines and not a bona fide government tax or fee of course) came out to be a whopping $732 in addition to 60,000 miles.

Then, I priced out the exact same trip for a purchased itinerary. I got a combination of the lower U and T fares available, and it priced up as $1212 including tax.

The long and short was that it was only $480 more to buy this intercontinental ticket with stopover than it was to use miles. While I realise SkyPesos are widely seen as pretty devalued, 60,000 for what is in effect a $480 rebate of the ticket seems pretty weak, and less than a 1c per mile value.

FWIW, I calculated the "true" taxes on this ticket to be approx $248 USD. That means almost $500 in fuel surcharges and foreign origin award ticket fees which is pure revenue to DL and KL in addition to the 60,000 miles. Disappointing and underwhelming to say the least.

Realising that this is not new of course, but providing a data point.