FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Acela -- everything that is wrong with Amtrak
Old May 19, 2002, 10:51 am
markbach

Location: controlling the internets from an underground bunker
Programs: So l33t that I don't need a wallet full of cards to prove it. Black is the new Gold.
*ahem*

Hold up here...forget Amtrak....someone actually CAME to Wilmington (and didn't even tell me )? Wow!

Seriously, though, I agree that Amtrak's "upgraded" services are a waste on the NYC-PHL-WAS corrdidor. When Acela first came out, I upgraded a Regional ticket from coach to biz, because all the ads showed the slick new seating (conference tables, recline, etc) on Regional as well as express. Well, for my $17 upgrade charge, I got 2 free sodas in the cafe. That's it. It being after 10am, they were out of newspapers. The seat was the same as the coach seat. Even had 2 crying babies in the car. I can't even imagine paying 30% more for Acela Express to get there 5-10 minutes sooner.

BOS-NYC on Acela Express is a different story, that's where the "high-speed" track is, so it shaves about an hour off the time. Also, you get a meal, microbrews, and audio on that segment.

BTW, Amtrak has a 100% Satisfaction Guarntee, and they mean it. On two occasions (after that "upgrade" experience, and when the car's speaker hissed in my ear the entire trip), I called up, and they were more than happy to issue me a voucher for future travel, no questions asked.