FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:06 am
jamesteroh
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by mikeef
It appears that a lot of those people are making only coin purchases or maxing out the limits with coins (harder to do now).

Having said that, I'm pretty seriously considering dropping Amex from the rotation. I have two cards, one with a few hundred thousand MR points. Don't want to risk getting snagged on one and have them cancel both.

Mike
I use my Hilton Am Ex card for my larger coin purchases, mainly due to the fact that I value hilton points at over 1 penny each and get 3 points for each dollar charged so that is over a 3.5% return. I also can get diamond status very easilly if for some reason my stays are down in just a couple months of spending on that card and using my delta Am Ex you can easilly get a 20 to 30K mileage MQM boost on each depending on the type.

I haven't had any problems with Am Ex, but I put through a large amount of business purchases on the card as well and pay the card off in full at least weekly (everytime I get a reimbursement check or make a mint deposit I go online and pay the card off in full so I don't come close to maxing the card out at month end).

If I was making only mint purchases or only paying the card once a month (therefore getting me very close to maxing out), I am sure I could run into problems with them as well.