FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SunPass or Shunpike the Florida turnpike?
Old Jun 15, 2011, 12:25 pm
stonecrd

Originally Posted by ticu
It's most likely a MIA-KEYS KEYS-MIA trip over 9 days of rental from Sixt.
So the tolls would add-up to let's say 4 dollars for the 9-day rental period.
Paying Sixt $63 for tolls just doesn't make sense to me.
You are right with regards to sunpass vs cash - that's what they told me on the phone. I asked if it's 10 dollars only for the days that I use the toll highway and they said no, it's 10 dollars for each day of the whole rental period. Weird, isn't it?
Now, I come from Canada. If I buy a "sunpass mini" would I be able to activate it/use it with my Canadian driver's licence info and address? And then just stick it to the windsheield, and remove/distroy it and cancel the account (for a refund eventually) when I return the car? That would be 15 bucks without a refund or about 4 buck with the refund and would make more sense to me then what Sixt is trying to feed me with.
I don't see why you couldn't do that but it generally takes Sunpass about 24hrs to activate once your account is established. You can order them online so I assume they would ship them to you in Canada. I assume this what all of the snowbirds do. If you think you will come to FL often you can also get a portable option for $25 that suction cup mounts so you can take it with you for reuse. As for the license plate you can change that online so you might be Ok doing it that way. Actually I just looked and they even have a spot to specify if it is a rental vehicle and the period you want the subscription to start and end.