FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Royal Hawaiian vs. Moana Surfrider
View Single Post
Old Jun 15, 2011, 1:43 am
fanoftravel

Royal Hawaiian versus Moana versus Sheraton

I have stayed at all three, and each one has its advantages.

Royal Hawaiian has the classiest common areas, very quiet and relaxing. Though some may say too formal, I like the more exclusive feel when you want to escape the excitement/frenetic quality of Waikiki. The rooms are very nice, but, as mentioned above, most don't offer balconies or have the same oceanfront views as the other two.

The Moana has pleasant common areas though you still get a fair amount of traffic - hotel guests, other visitors and what always seems like lots of weddings to me (perhaps just my own impression). I believe the historical wings offer a more interesting interior but was rather impressed with the one bedroom suite with two balconies we received in the new wing. We were able to check out the eye-candy at Duke's from the one balcony and look more directly out to the ocean from the other. I don't recall the noise being an issue.

I really don't care for the general feel of the Sheraton Waikiki as much. I always feel like I'm walking through the MGM Grand in Vegas, though the cigarette smoke and cacophony of the slot machines is indeed missing. Tour groups are everywhere, and it generally seems very busy and crowded. The hotel just isn't as tasteful as the other too. I will say, however, that the views from the rooms can be pretty amazing. I've stayed in standard oceanfronts (great view but quite small), one bedroom suites (same view and bigger of course) and a corner junior suite/family suite. This last category is my favorite...one big open room with amazing diamond head and ocean views. I believe the room - stay in question was more than 10 years ago - had two regular queen beds, a Murphy bed and a fold out couch! I would recommend this one over the one bedroom suite. Maybe someone else can advise if they still have this configuration.

So, if you can get a one bedroom suite in the new tower at the Moana, I would probably go for that. Otherwise, if you don't mind the craziness and less-sophisticated vibe at the Waikiki, decent upgrades are frequently available there. Room furnishings and appointments are best at the RH, decent at the Moana and pretty basic and boring at the Sheraton.

Hope my ramblings help!