FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - London Underground ghost stations
View Single Post
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:42 am
WHBM

Programs: BA
There are a number of now-abandoned stations on all the main systems London, Paris, New York, etc. They are over 100 years old now and have had many changes over time so this is inevitable.

A map showing everything, current and abandoned, of London, Paris, and many other European cities is here, both on-screen and downloadable pdf, from a French website :

http://carto.metro.free.fr/metro-tram-london/

There was a fascinating book I bought about 30 years ago, now up in the attic with all the aviation books, something like "Subterranean Secret London", self published by the author and very detailed for its time, but the author was paranoid about every abandoned platform, mysterious passage at a station, wartime tunnels, etc, being part of a grand conspiracy theory about MI5's activities in London. The technical research was spot on, but the ludicrous conclusions were a real hoot.

Originally Posted by Jenbel
I was reading Sherlock Holmes recently, and was amused/surprised about how he used trains to get around (even if not quite the underground - I think he might have used it once!).
Conan Doyle was well known as a great train buff (maybe Stut's predecessor ?) and wrote other stories entirely about trains, eg "The Lost Special". His stories are well known for always having slight variances from reality, for example he often left from the "wrong" London station for where he was going to, but this was just his well-informed deliberate little joke. He knew his stuff.

http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-st...s/LosSpe.shtml

He incorporated so much of Victorian railways in his stories that there have been whole articles in train buff magazines picking them all out. And in "The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans", a key Holmes story, the Metropolitan Line is right in the centre of the story. The Underground as such did not exist as an organisation when he was writing.

Last edited by WHBM; Jun 13, 2011 at 11:47 am