View Single Post
Old Jun 13, 11, 5:43 am
KenF

Programs: BA-Gld, BD Lifetime Gld, LH Pleb, *Wd GPG, HH-Dmd, Amex: can take their Cent card and <CENSORED>
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro View Post
Its not advised to purchase a rental vehicle after it's useful life as a rental..

We're talking about renters who may not be as careful as they would be with their own vehicle.. 100% driving the rental.. once the rental is finished.. another renter renting who may not be as careful.. in a recurring cycle for up to a couple of years..
Bit late to the thread, but it makes a great read!

The comments on the advisability (or lack thereof) of buying used rental cars made me think of this:

Originally Posted by P J O'Rourke
Even more important than being drunk, however, is having the right car. You have to get a car that handles really well. This is extremely important, and there's a lot of debate on this subject about what kind of car handles best. Some say a front-engined car; some say a rear-engined car. I say a rented car. Nothing handles better than a rented car. You can go faster, turn corners sharper, and put the transmission into reverse while going forward at a higher rate of speed in a rented car than in any other kind. You can also park without looking, and can use the trunk as an ice chest. Another thing about a rented car is that it's an all-terrain vehicle. Mud, snow, water, woods you can take a rented car anywhere. True, you can't always get it back but that's not your problem, is it?
Excerpted from the essay "How to Drive Fast on Drugs While Getting Your Wing-Wang Squeezed and Not Spill Your Drink"

I'll have to calm my nerves before I post any of my hire car horror stories, but, in the meantime, you can imagine the problems I have with the additional driver coverage!

Willard the Bear - Left hand down a bit....