FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Car rental horror stories
View Single Post
Old Jun 13, 2011, 4:43 am
KenF

Programs: BA-Gld, BD Lifetime Gld, LH Pleb, *Wd GPG, HH-Dmd, Amex: can take their Cent card and <CENSORED>
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Its not advised to purchase a rental vehicle after it's useful life as a rental..

We're talking about renters who may not be as careful as they would be with their own vehicle.. 100% driving the rental.. once the rental is finished.. another renter renting who may not be as careful.. in a recurring cycle for up to a couple of years..
Bit late to the thread, but it makes a great read!

The comments on the advisability (or lack thereof) of buying used rental cars made me think of this:

Originally Posted by P J O'Rourke
Even more important than being drunk, however, is having the right car. You have to get a car that handles really well. This is extremely important, and there's a lot of debate on this subject – about what kind of car handles best. Some say a front-engined car; some say a rear-engined car. I say a rented car. Nothing handles better than a rented car. You can go faster, turn corners sharper, and put the transmission into reverse while going forward at a higher rate of speed in a rented car than in any other kind. You can also park without looking, and can use the trunk as an ice chest. Another thing about a rented car is that it's an all-terrain vehicle. Mud, snow, water, woods – you can take a rented car anywhere. True, you can't always get it back – but that's not your problem, is it?
Excerpted from the essay "How to Drive Fast on Drugs While Getting Your Wing-Wang Squeezed and Not Spill Your Drink"

I'll have to calm my nerves before I post any of my hire car horror stories, but, in the meantime, you can imagine the problems I have with the additional driver coverage!

Willard the Bear - Left hand down a bit....