FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - opening my eyes, flying SQ to Singapore
View Single Post
Old Jun 12, 2011, 2:21 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by anaidross
^ - very well said.

If I may further add, the Singapore government is of the view that the airport as an airhub is of greater economic value than the airline. They evenly openly mentioned that it will be defended even at the expense of Singapore Airlines. (http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...pore-hub_x.htm)
To continue on this point a bit --

I'm now in the terminal (on a free internet kiosk by the way). It was so impressive going to the basement of T3 and seeing the food court, bustling with activity, variety, and cheap prices, equal to what you would find on the normal streets of Singapore.

What is the difference in philosophy behind the management of this airport, compared to the sterile, sold-off-to-corporate-chains approach that US airports are run? Do they take a different view of value provided, in that giving workers/travelers/staff an affordable place to eat creates value in new business, or desire of people to use the airport as a transit point? Or is it that they see a responsibility to provide value at all levels of customer, not just milking one lever, and letting the market sort it out (which apparently leads to only amenities for the top business traveler)?

I'm assuming this example extends to other functions at the airport.

I think this kind of philosophy requires quite a different mindset -- and giving up short term revenue (like pricing retail rental space so that only the biggest chains can afford it) in return for larger business development and long term viability.

But also perhaps the people and talent to manage it this way, and not just view it as a typical govt job?

I am about to visit the butterfly garden. This is amazing.

Last edited by TA; Jun 12, 2011 at 3:09 am