FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flying CX, 19 hour layover, baggage rules?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:06 pm
number_6
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by 1stClassFamily
Good to know HKG can handle long transit luggage. I am wondering if HND can handle the same? I am planning a trip from JFK - HND - HKG - SIN, with AA flight from JFK then connect to CX. Transit time in HND would be around 18 hours and then transit time in HKG would be 22 hours. ...
I doubt that HND can handle it (remember that it was domestic airport originally and not designed for international transits!), but you can try. However, HKG definitely cannot handle it as you would need to check-in for the HKG-SIN flight more than 48 hours in advance ... so there are not 1 but 2 iterations of that same flight number. Don't think any airline can handle check-in more than 1 day ahead.

Originally Posted by PedroNY
Sorry to resurrect this thread again. I am leaving in about 2 weeks. I called Cathay to confirm this, and I received a weird response of "10 hour" rule about connections. Did something change, or did the customer service rep just does not know about 24 rule? ...
Is this on separate tickets? The rules are different for transit on a single ticket (which is what this thread has been discussing). No idea if it has changed with 10 hour replacing 24 hour rule, but lots of other airlines have been doing that in the past year. So CX may have changed recently. Perhaps someone has done a long transit in the past month and can comment. Worst case you can store baggage landside at the airport, so it won't be catastrophic.