FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flying CX, 19 hour layover, baggage rules?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 8:02 pm
1stClassFamily

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, FPC PLT, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond
Originally Posted by number_6
The rules for connecting baggage vary by airport as well as airline; so it isn't entirely under CX's control. Luckily the new HKG airport was well designed and built with this in mind, and has excellent baggage sorting facilities including automated storage for connections (few other airports do). Hence the 24 hour rule applies to CX connections in HKG -- very convenient. SIN can too, but NRT, LHR and LAX cannot, for example. I've chosen to route via HKG instead of NRT precisely because of this factor for some trips (even going to the extent of requiring people to fly NRT-HKG-NRT to meet with me as I did not go via NRT). So a strategy that pays off for HKG and CX in attracting more business by providing this service.
Good to know HKG can handle long transit luggage. I am wondering if HND can handle the same? I am planning a trip from JFK - HND - HKG - SIN, with AA flight from JFK then connect to CX. Transit time in HND would be around 18 hours and then transit time in HKG would be 22 hours. Thinking about checking through the luggage all the way through to SIN at JFK. That way we can enjoy our short stay at both cities without burden of luggage. Is that possible? We are trying on F/J class all the way