FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - opening my eyes, flying SQ to Singapore
View Single Post
Old Jun 11, 2011, 1:53 pm
anaidross

Programs: ROP Gold
Originally Posted by aster
Last time I checked a map of the world Singapore wasn't located between Qatar and the UAE. This isn't some oil-rich nation that sees money falling from trees - it's a country that has worked hard for everything it has achieved, and has been blessed with very good leadership that has allowed it to develop and flourish.

If you like you can buy shares in Singapore Airlines - they're a public company listed on the stock exchange.
^ - very well said.

If I may further add, the Singapore government is of the view that the airport as an airhub is of greater economic value than the airline. They evenly openly mentioned that it will be defended even at the expense of Singapore Airlines. (http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...pore-hub_x.htm)

For instance Qantas is allowed to fly further to third countries from Singapore even though SQ is not allowed to fly to other third countries from Australia.

So SQ does not enjoy any protection and in some ways is actually in a disadvantage position due to the preceived economic value of the airport as an airhub.

SQ's success is really its own hard work.