FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TWA First Class DEN-JFK 1972 - The Good Old Days
Old Nov 24, 2001, 12:09 am
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
TWA First Class DEN-JFK 1972 - The Good Old Days

Howdy Folks

Whilst perusing the depths of the FlyerTalk trip reports, I must say how impressed I am by the detailed nature of many of the reports. Whether one has enjoyed the pleasures of First Class or not, one can certainly experience the service vicariously through the postings of such luminaries as tfung and Carfield, just to name two of the very best writers. Thanks, guys!

With the recent post 9/11 cutbacks in inflight meal service, both in First Class and Coach, I thought you might enjoy this menu from a TWA flight I flew between Denver and New York-JFK back in 1972. Although I traveled in Coach, I made sure to grab the First Class menu.

A number of you weren’t even born when this flight took place. This was a three hour and forty minute flight so consider when reading this that 9/11 related reductions notwithstanding, the cutbacks in meal service between 1972 and 2001 have been dramatic to say the least. The meal was lunch. This was a 12:00n departure out of Denver that continued on to Zurich from JFK.

TWA Flight 156
January 1st, 1972
Denver to New York-JFK
707-331B

TO START

ENCHILADA CON QUESO Y CHILES ROJO

A thin crepe filled with a lightly seasoned mixture of cottage and American cheeses… Topped with a colorful and zesty sauce flavored with beefstock, red peppers and tomatoes.

TOSSED GARDEN SALAD BOWL

An array of fresh, crisp garden greens consisting of romaine and Boston lettuce, endive, red cabbage and carrot slices. They are tossed with an assortment of special garnitures and served in an individual “Taiwan” bowl.

Your Choice Of

Herb flavored vinegar and oil or Roquefort Dressing

ENTRÉE SELECTIONS

CHATEAUBRIAND

The aristocrat of roasts… A double tenderloin of beef, selected from choice Midwestern steers. Cooked to your liking in TWA’s aircraft ovens and carved at tableside from the rolling cart. Served with Sauce Perigueux.

DOUBLE CUT LAMB CHOPS
From spring lamb, juicy double rib chops are cut and trimmed in the French manner and grilled to your liking… Rare… Medium… or Well Done.

CHICKEN BREAST PILGRIM STYLE
A partially boned Rock Cornish breast with a savory cranberry, celery and herb stuffing… Complimented by our New England Supreme sauce.

CHARBROILED SIRLOIN STEAK
Selected cuts from choice corn fed steers, cooked as you desire…
Topped with your choice of Lemon Parsley butter or Roquefort butter.

SWEET AND SOUR PRAWNS
Delicately sauteed jumbo shrimp artfully blended in a piquant sweet and sour pineapple sauce… Presented on a bed of fluffy rice.

Potatoes and Vegetables in season

Freshly baked Dinner Rolls and Breads

Creamery Butter

THE DESSERT CART

ICE CREAM SUNDAE

A special treat! Fancy French Vanilla ice cream topped with chocolate syrup or your favorite cordial… Kahlua, Galliano or Crème de Menthe… Sprinkled with chopped walnuts

HOT APPLE PIE
An American Favorite… Tangy apples baked in a flaky crust and served fresh from the oven with your choice of rich vanilla ice cream or a sharp cheddar cheese wedge.

Coffee, freshly brewed in flight

Tea

Dinner Mints

WINE AND CHAMPAGNE

Great Western Extra Dry New York State Champagne

Almaden Brut Champagne

Paul Masson Pinot Chardonnay

Ginestet Montagne Saint-Emilion 1969

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 2, 2009 at 3:15 pm