FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trip, Hotel and Restaurant Report: JFK-SFO-JFK
Old Aug 18, 2001, 9:13 pm
PresRDC
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
The taxi ride to downtown San Francisco was quick, but at $27.00, rather expensive. I guess it’s the price for convenience until American cities get smart and run convenient rail services from the city center to the airport (including, dare I dream, a central city check-in option).

The Grand Hyatt at Union Square

I was originally going to stay at the Clarion Airport Hotel, but then I realized that I was going to be getting into SFO at about 2:30 PM and would have half a day and an evening to spend before my return flight. So, I decided to change to a center city hotel. The Grand Hyatt had a weekend rate of $169/night, which I thought was a good deal, so I booked it.

I was greeted by a doorman who offered to take my bag, but since I could manage it I declined. I probably should have tipped him for opening the door of the taxi, but I didn’t have any singles on me, so I didn’t. Check-in was smooth and my room was ready. I gave the receptionist my AA #. I was on the 8th floor in a king size, non-smoking room, which is what I requested. It was nicely appointed, but the décor was a little dark, but for the bedspread. The bathroom featured a T.V., which is always novel, but it did not work so well. Oh well. Basically, a pretty typical, nice hotel room.

After getting settled, I went for a walk around the city. I headed down Sutton to Embarcedo, where I caught a street car (not to be confused with a cable car) to Pier 39/Fisherman’s Wharf. I walked around there for a while, but it was too crowded for my tastes. I did take some time to get a view of Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge. I also saw the mass of sea lions basking in the cool afternoon sun. Soon, I needed to head back so I could shower and change for the evening. I was planning on taking a cable car on the Mason/Powell line back to my hotel (or near it), but the line was too long, so I decided to walk it. From this experience I concluded: 1) San Francisco is not hilly, but rather mountanous; 2) the residents do not take long walks up the hills; 3) anyone doing this walk everyday would have calves of steel; and 4) I am an idiot for attempting this walk.

The next morning, I had breakfast in the Hyatt’s Grandviews Restaurant. While the buffet was pricy ($18.50), iot was good and the views were fantastic. I spent an enjoyable hour there, but then it was time to head to the airport for the trip back.