FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cuba recommendations
View Single Post
Old Jun 5, 2011, 7:56 am
vuittonsofstyle

Originally Posted by LaydeeSarah
Thinking of going to Cuba next year but havent been before or know many people that have therefore I was hoping to find some hotel/resort recommendations.

We'll be flying into Havana I'd imagine and really would like a relaxed holiday (beach/pool/cocktails/dinners out) but with the option to do trips out to see sights if we wish.

We usually stay at upmarket but boutique style hotels so looking for something akin to a Park Hyatt/Mandarin Oriental/Banyan Tree. Not really interested in package holiday type resports with wristbands and buffets - we'd like something a little more personable if that is possible?

Would very much welcome thoughts on where to stay
High-end hotel groups have attempted to secure a foothold in Havana a number of times. One&Only were there for 2 years, trying to put something together, but shortages were so bad (finding nails and wood were a real challenge!) that they gave up.

You will not find anything akin to a MO or Hyatt or Banyan Tree, but what you will find is atmosphere by the truck-load. This means that you also have to expect peeling paint with your history. Saratoga Hotel and Santa Isabel hotel in Havana are much appreciated by foreign correspondents, but unless you are into the peeling paint aspect of hotels, then you may not appreciate the 'atmosphere' and live entertainment.

As far as I know, nothing else has emerged onto the hotel scene of late.

So-called high-end 'luxury' hotels are ridiculously cheap in Havana, so I would advise you book the best accommodation available and cross your fingers.