FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 700K+ Miles Earned in 7 weeks. Should I cool it a bit?
Old Jun 4, 2011, 3:47 pm
fiveninerzero

Programs: A3 *G, fmr DL PM
Originally Posted by eastbiz
Use creditkarma.com to see what it does with your score and make decission based on that.
The most badass credit score that you can get get is from www.myfico.com

FICO's proprietary formula is the most well known in the industry, and more closely mirrors what the banks use to determine your creditworthiness. Be aware though, every individual bank has slightly different criteria when it comes to what they consider credit "worthy" and will tweak any assessment for special interest areas of specific concern to them.

In general, however, with what you have posted so far, your score will be affected significantly if all those inquiries are with the same bureau (not every creditor pulls all three at once) or if you apply for credit where somebody decides to run all three reports and discovers all your inquiries. IMO, your biggest potential issue is applying for a mortgage anytime in the next 2 years, as you will lose out on the lowest interest brackets for sure.

I do my apps in 2 year spurts because of that. I go on an app spree when I start browsing sites like FT and fatwallet and notice a larger than usual amount of bonus miles, then I wait a year or two in order to let my report settle down. I maintain a 780ish FICO due to this, and I have a relatively short credit history (26 years old, they say most formulas like to see average age of at least 10 years account age) I'm sure that I could be in the 800s if I never applied for anything, but where is the fun in that?

You would be better off asking questions like this on a site like www.creditboards.com The forums there are more geared towards general credit building, credit repair and the mechanics and specifics behind it, here
members seem to be more focused on just the bonus points and miles aspect.