FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)
Old Jun 4, 2011, 10:50 am
JumboD

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by JDiver
Some posts above are on the money with this one. Airlines are generally sticklers about these issues, and as I am sure I have said previously, airlines have written the rules to be as one-sided and onerous to customers as possible - from their Conditions of Carriage to the Warsaw and Montreal conventions. These greedy spurii have, since the day they started carrying passengers, written the rules to benefit themselves, and only grudgingly make concessions to their self-loading freight, er, passengers.

So, ten days late filing a claim, there is no likely mercy for the OP in this issue. Admittedly cheap luggage with torn seam? They would likely have said "it's normal wear and tear, caused by overpacking cheap luggage". Items lost? They will require receipts to pay more than a nominal amount (hint: as you pack take a dated digital photo or two - this is what I do to document my dive gear). The approach is nearly Napoleonic - it's your fault, unless you can absolutely prove it is theirs; the passenger has the presumption of guilt, if not chumpdom. (I suspect this explains in part the popularity of sites that enable passengers to learn how they can gain a better hand in the game.)

This is all pretty much regardless of status, unless you are a much more frequent flyer than merely Executive Platinum by miles, and hopefully also have status in your life with the ability to influence others' travel. IMO, they really just do not care, and the airlines are pretty much siloed as far as management concerns, so baggage losses are not something other departments really care about.

What to do? Buy cheap luggage (also a good theft preventive) and move on when it is damaged; buy some of the luggage out there with lifetime warranty, like some TravelPro, Eagle Creek, Stahlsac, etc. and have it repaired / replaced properly by the manufacturer. If you want to spend some time and receive some token miles or the like, formalize a snailmail complaint with a copy to DOT.
This is probably, unfortunately, dead on . It's not worth a letter to the DOT, etc as this is really just about AA taking a minor annoyance and making it worse.

What they need to understand about me is this: Flying J is a necessity, flying F is a luxury. Now that I don't worry so much about buying Y and upgrading to J and instead base my travel partly on buying J and upgrading to F (transoceanic flights) the commitment to a given frequent flyer program doesn't have to be nearly what it was a few years ago. Not happy with buying AA J and upgrading to F? I can always just buy VS J and try something else entirely. Will I bail over this? No, that would be almost as silly as them throwing the rules in my face when all I wanted were some miles, but I don't consider myself nearly as tied down (especially since I'll hit 1mm this summer and always have the ability to get exit rows and request upgrades on discount tix for domestic travel).