FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, etc. (pre-2018)
Old Jun 4, 2011, 8:54 am
Often1
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by JY1024
(emphasis mine)

Sorry, I may be a little dense right now...but I'm not sure I see where the OP said that he got 20K miles comp?

Edit to add:
And now the thread is merged with the de facto luggage advice/"help desk" thread. /Moderator
I read it as 4 x 5 thousand miles, but did bad math. Should have read it as 20K miles. But, point is that bag was damaged either by AA or taxi in London and not reported for 10 days until after 2 further segments (UK to Russia and Russia to France). That equates to no compensation except as a matter of goodwill. Even 5K miles is a lot because while miles do not translate into actual cash, they have a significant cost (carriers take reserves on their balance sheet for average value of outstanding awards), capacity is down, purchased fares are up and thus on other threads, lots of complaining about lack of award avail. One way to control award avail (among others) is not to hand out miles as in the past. Only enhances the problem on the other side of the equation: the guy complaining that he's got a million miles and can't use them.