FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Enhancement: No more op-ups from cheaper fare buckets
Old Jun 4, 2011, 2:46 am
Viennafly

Programs: LH SEN**, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by econprof
My op-up rate between FRA and NYC has been probably around 50% during the last three years, and certainly higher during certain periods. The chance of an op-up has been one, if not *the*, greatest benefit of my hard-earned SENhood. To learn that this benefit is now essentially being taken away and that some *G who may be flying their *first flight ever* on LH will be op-upped up and me not just pisses me off beyond belief.
I agree that this new enhancement really sucks, as I also mostly fly Y (and am a SEN since 2006). I also do not see the point as these changes (and op-ups in general) do not affect LHs revenue. Clearly op-ups are an instrument that (aside from some additional C meals and drinks) do not cost LH anything. It probably even saves them money, as they do not have to pay compensation to passengers if Y is overbooked and they have to rebook them, possiblly pay for food, hotel etc.
On the other hand, op-ups became rare event: I was op-up'ed on 8 segments from Y to C out of a total of 23 segments in the last 4 years, which sounds not bad, but not a single time any more in the last 2 years. The higher frequency before was probably due to financial crisis and indeed as for econprof 4 out of my 8 op-ops were on JFK-MUC/FRA flights. In the last two years, most of the times when I flew longhaul Y, Y was far from being completely booked and C was completely full. If I wanted to upgrade with miles or e-vouchers, I was always on the waiting list, the upgrade cleared very late and C was always completely full.
For me, I will not pay the fare difference between Q and V just to get the (slight) chance for an op-up. Already, I am spending more money than necessary from my travel budget for V class flight, even though in most cases cheaper fare classes are still available. For me, the possibility to earn 100% miles and to be able to upgrade with miles are the more important factors.