FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - need a recommend for Mifi/USB rental in EU
Old Jun 3, 2011, 4:55 pm
Dubai Stu

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
No, I got the TIM Italy-only/country specific prepaid card for Italy (go to the country-specific section of the Telestial site - and make sure you're getting a TIM SIM). The Passport SIM cards will NOT give you the data you want - the passport cards have a low data limit w/expensive data above that.

Basically you'll need to get a country-specific SIM that has data service available. For Italy, the TIM SIM works fine. For Spain, I found Vodafone store all over the place and purchased a SIM from them (after I was in Madrid). Istanbul had a couple of cellphone vendors at the airport, including Vodafone - I did not get a SIM card in Istanbul as the hotel had fully free internet & I was scheduled for a short stay.

For VOICE in an unlocked GSM phone the Telestial Passport card is fine. But not for data.
To buy a prepaid Italian SIM, you need a "code fiscale" -- an Italian Tax ID. The simplest way around this problem is to find a code fiscale generator online and generate your own number. I'm not sure that it is entirely legal, but it works fine.