FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011
Old Jun 2, 2011, 2:33 pm
folex386

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Fawxer
Hi Everyone. I've got two quick questions about Gold Challenge that I couldn't find the answers to here or on the Wiki.

1) Is there a minimum EQP (250 miles?) for flights if I currently have no status? I remember that there used to be, but also think I remember that they changed it so that only members with elite status get the minimum EQP.

2) Is there a "close-enough-to-qualify" rule for challenges? Maybe I remember this being for regular re-qualification.

I'm planning out a Gold Challenge strategy for the summer, and my ideal routing has me 90 miles short. My routing can't get any more creative , and I plan to switch to using miles once I complete the challenge. I could just buy the next leg of my travel plans, but it would be way nicer if these last 90 miles weren't an issue.

Thanks for your help.
1) There is no minimum EQP on flights unless you have status because EQP are determined by the miles and you don't get the guaranteed.

2) I don't think they will give it to you if you are 90 miles short, I remember reading this somewhere, but don't have it immediately available. For re-qualifying there have been reports of being short, but for challenges I think that they're pretty strict.