FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ON THE ROAD AGAIN: From The Bottom of Africa to The Top of Alaska
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:09 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
March 20, 2011
George – Johannesburg
Kulula Economy Class
737-800 ZS-ZWQ
6:55pm – 8:30pm

My day started with a one hour bus ride from Knysna down to George, followed by a taxi out to the airport. Despite George being a relatively small city, the airport terminal building is surprisingly modern and spacious. Three airlines offer flights on the George to Johannesburg route, and I chose Kulula because they offered the best price on the day I was traveling. Kulula is the low-cost subsidiary of British Airways’ South African franchise Comair. It began service in 2001 and offers affordably priced domestic flights aboard a fleet of brightly colored 737s. It is perhaps best known for its humorous inflight announcements and aircraft liveries.

Kulula’s check-in counter opened an hour and a half before departure time. The two agents on duty worked efficiently to process passengers and baggage. I requested and received an exit row window seat, then was handed a cabin baggage tag for my daypack. Right. Off to security. On the other side of security were a small café and not one but three separate airport lounges. My Priority Pass got me into the Bidair Services Premier Lounge, located just beyond the security check point. Additionally, I could have used my Priority Pass to gain access to another lounge called the Oubaai Sky Lounge, but after a quick look inside it was clear to see that the Bidair lounge was the superior facility. The third lounge was affiliated with a local golf and country club ~ quite a nice perk for its members to have an airport lounge as well.

Though it would have been nice to have flown upon one of Kulula’s uniquely liveried 737s, the aircraft assigned to this evening’s flight up to Johannesburg was quite likely the least colorful airplane in the fleet. It was an ex-Transavia Holland machine that Kulula acquired over a year ago, in February of 2010, yet it still bore its prior operator’s plain white fuselage offset by a broad two tone green ring just forward of the wings. Oh well, perhaps the airplane was on long term lease. In any event, the seats were comfortable and the service on this one hour and thirty minute flight was reasonably efficient.

My ride to Gandhi’s Backpackers was waiting for me at baggage claim. Thirty minutes later I was comfortably ensconced in the poolside cabana while enjoying ice cold Windhoek Lagers and exchanging tales of African adventure with a couple from Argentina and Heinz, the Swiss owner. I didn’t get to bed until 2:30am but hey – it was my last night in Africa. Until next year.

The poolside bar at Gandhi’s Backpackers – Picture taken in the quiet morning hours