FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Car rental horror stories
View Single Post
Old May 31, 2011, 10:04 pm
Ancien Maestro
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by silver-tls
at Hertz in Kauai I saw a family complaining to the desk that there was a rooster in the back seat. Plenty of them roaming the highways and parking lots so not too surprising.
Lol..

I would raise the rooster roost issue as well.. if they were hanging out in the back seat.

Originally Posted by CMK10
I have to disagree, respectfully of course. I have a 2007 Pontiac G6 I bought used from Enterprise with about 25,000 miles on it. I've since put another ~50K on it with no problems.

My worst rental car horror story comes from the other side of the counter. I run a local rental department here in Durham and we rent to a lot of people who can't rent anywhere else. One of our customers was a known drug dealer whose father would rent the car, pay for it, and add his son as an additional driver. Apparently his son had been advised to stay out of a certain area and he failed to heed that warning. He was ambushed and murdered in our car, shot to death by automatic weapons. The police informed us they knew who the murderers were but could never secure a conviction. The car was also a total write off, though I wouldn't have felt comfortable renting a car that had been covered in splattered brains anyway.
I agree that I should clarify.. not all rental cars purchased after the fact is bad..

In my experience being in the vehicle industry for 8 years (publisher of an auto magazine.. so I knew over 100 dealer managers).. my contacts experience with vehicles purchased from Fleets of rentals, is a higher probability of hard use, and less of a useful life.. Sure there are a few gems out there.. Maybe with a good AAA inspection, and some thorough diagnostics, and checkover.. you could find a gem..