FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel Insurance for Developing Countries
Old May 31, 2011, 4:14 am
AnnaBeth

Originally Posted by Regielya
Well, I'm looking at my statistical past. I've been a vegan for years, and have never, ever been sick whatsoever. My strategy was always to exercise often and consume fresh nutrient-dense food, but what actually scares me is that, like any living organism which is taken away to a different environment, things can go quite surprising.

Are you sure complex medical interventions are expensive over there? I have encountered the following paragraphs from nomad CodyMckibben from ThrillingHeroics.com:
Last year I was in Bali with some girlfriends and one of them slipped on the 3 steps coming out of her room to breakfast at around 7:30am. She was completely sober and not at all hungover or ill (doesn't drink).

Unfortunately for her she landed badly when she fell and broke her wrist in two places. The cost of her medical treatment in Bali (one of the cheapest destinations in SE Asia) was $7000 which was needed upfront. Fortunately for her she had insurance and they agreed to pay the cost so that she could get the surgery she needed.

That's just one tiny example of how much completely risk-free behaviour in an incredibly inexpensive country can cost you. I think anyone that doesn't get insurance is mad.