FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel Insurance for Developing Countries
Old May 30, 2011, 3:27 pm
Regielya

Well, I'm looking at my statistical past. I've been a vegan for years, and have never, ever been sick whatsoever. My strategy was always to exercise often and consume fresh nutrient-dense food, but what actually scares me is that, like any living organism which is taken away to a different environment, things can go quite surprising.

Are you sure complex medical interventions are expensive over there? I have encountered the following paragraphs from nomad CodyMckibben from ThrillingHeroics.com:

Local Medical Coverage:

You can walk in to the hospital, clinic, and pharmacies all over Thailand. Over the counter medications, prescriptions, and almost every medical service imaginable is incredibly cheaper than in Europe or the US. You can get x-rays or see the doctor for less than $10, so if you have trouble finding traveler’s insurance (which you will with travel advisories right now) I wouldn’t worry about your health. People flock to Thailand for medical tourism reasons because they have some of the most affordable healthcare in the world. You can see the eye doctor or the dentist and get service for pennies on the dollar as well, typically all very high quality.

Sydney: Any recommendations for health and dental coverage and finding doctors overseas?

Cody: It’s easy to find decent online travel insurance. Much of the world has far superior health care to the US actually. I’ve been in a few situations where friends I’ve known have had some pretty serious accidents or illnesses actually, and because so many countries have universal healthcare, treatment has frequently been free, or ridiculously cheap compared to what we’re used to paying in the US. This is of course not the case everywhere, and it’s important to be aware of your situation, so just make sure you do your research on your particular destination.

Anyway, I am planning of doing scuba-diving, motorbikes, free falls, bungee jumps, etc, so an insurance might be worth looking into.

Luggage insurance does not bother me at all. I never travel with luggage. I put all my stuff on my own clothes-pockets, and nothing there is really expensive, except the camera.

Why is WorldNomad.Com being recommended everywhere as a great and cheap travel insurance company? They charge around 3.5$ a day! (maybe because I'm from Israel), but we have travel insurance companies here that take 1.25$ a day.