FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Government Rate Question
View Single Post
Old May 29, 2011, 9:35 am
Often1
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by hobo13
I'm generally not asked, but the one property (it was an SPG on Oahu) absolutely insisted on examining it with a fine-tooth comb. And then telling me that it was NOT a gov't ID..... too funny. And this went on every other day for about 2 weeks. (Yea, Hyatt was running FFN....)

So while I've been known to do plenty of things that I'm not supposed to do, on this is one time where I'm actually on the right side of the line!

As for using the rate when not on gov't business? How are they going to know? I mean, sure they can ask. But what proof would they want to see? Our office is frequently on multi-week trips that span weekends, so just saying it's a Sat night does not mean I'm not out on business.
The way "they" know isn't right now. The way folks get caught is that something else totally unrelated happens (someone at your agency is alleged to have done something serious at the same hotel at another time) and there is an audit. That can result in everything from being required to backpay the rack rate to discipline. It's like driving without your license on you. Only matters if you get caught.