FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - $300 US Customs Fine for Undeclared Food?
Old May 28, 2011, 3:53 pm
chgoeditor
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Majuki
^

This was like before the GE kiosks changed the food question to be less ambiguous. I remember right after I entered the program the questions were similar if not identical to the blue customs form. It just asked if you were bringing in any food and would 'X' you if you selected yes. Now, the question is a lot more specific. (I assume this is in response to feedback from GE members.) Due to this, I would never even bring back a candy bar to avoid being delayed with an X receipt.

However, you have nothing to lose except the food by declaring food items even if they can't enter the country you are visiting. Yes, people do forget that apple or orange they placed in their carryon from lunch before their flight left, and it's no big deal if the beagle catches you - most of the time. However, technically you have made a false statement. Knowingly or unknowingly is the key, but I have witnessed people being hassled and fined in Australia for bringing in legal snacks and food that simply were not declared.
I think you're saying that the Global Entry kiosks have reworded the food question to avoid X'ing people who are simply bringing in candy bars, etc. If so, that's great news. I almost always buy candy overseas, but have also made the boneheaded mistake of carrying Costco-purchased turkey jerky (good travel snack) with me overseas, never eating it (or even opening the bag), then having to declare it when returning to the US...big fat GE X got me sent to the head of the line, and to the ag inspection station. My vow for future travel: Eat all jerky before flying home!