FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which are the Most Extraordinary Hotels in the Fairmont Group?
Old May 24, 2011, 11:37 am
bsaced

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
There have been a few such reports, but fortunately Iīve had nothing but excellent service over the years, regardless of whether I had booked the FAF rate or any other rate. Some hotels even gave me some extra benefits as an employee friend (e.g. 20% discount on F&B)

IMO the "attitude" comes from the fact that the FAF rate was available to the public for quite a while and it probably was hard to distinguish the "real employee friends" from other people using the NFAF code.

I agree that the rate booked may result in a different level of service, but IMO itīs pretty much impossible to say whether itīs good or bad, it very much depends on the employee handling the booking and the hotel, e.g.

TA rate: treat the guest worse because he paid a lower rate or treat him better because he influences the decision of other customers?

FAF rates: treat the guest worse because he paid a lower rate and may not even personally know an employee or treat him better because heīs a friend of a long-time, valued Fairmont colleague?

What Iīm basically saying is that itīs not worth it to spend too much time thinking about worse/better treatment as a consequence of booking a particular rate.

The only rates I tend to avoid for various reasons are GRGD and third party bookings (expedia, travelzoo etc.)
For what it's worth the best upgrade I have ever received at a Fairmont has been on a third party rate but I got such an amazing room because my upgrade initially didnt process and upon checking in, the upgrade I was supposed to get was no longer available. The front desk agent was incredibly nice and I think I probably just lucked out. So I have to agree with Jasper, a lot of it is just based on the person you're dealing with and how they are feeling so trying to figure out the science of an art form is a pretty hopeless pursuit.