FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary
Old May 23, 2011, 2:31 pm
msp2msy

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, A3 Gold, WN CP, and lots of points everywhere.
Originally Posted by mp31rdc
I am ticked. I applied for the US Dividend Miles Premier World MasterCard on May 16. Like everyone else, the promo I applied under was 35k Dividend Miles upon my first purchase and no annual fee for the first year ($89 thereafter). I received the card today and when I called to active it they have informed me that I was only approved for 10k dividend miles after spending $10k on the card and the annual fee waived for the first year!! WHAT A JOKE!

I have screen shots of: (1) the offer page, (2) the completed application and (3) the "congrats" page where my app was accepted.

My question: Should I call the number on the back of my card to complain or try with a secure email?

I am ticked...this is a pure bait and switch...I'll keep you guys updated on what happens.
First off, are you sure it was 10k miles on $10k spending? That doesn't even sound like a promo they'd run with! Perhaps 10k on first spend. Or 10k on $100. But $10k? Part of me wonders if they weren't messing with ya.

Otherwise, did you get bumped down (as many have) to the lower card offer of 10k on first spend on the Platinum card? If so, you're at a dead end I think. No one, including me, has had their card offer changed once it's approved from what I can tell. In certain circumstances, you may be able to go for a second attempt (which I did successfully) but it's unlikely you can avoid the second credit hit. If this was the case, while I don't like the practice, you did know that there was the risk this would happen when you applied didn't ya? It is in the first post and covers about half the content of this thread.

One other thing that might be getting confused is that you can earn up to another 10k via a balance transfer of up to $10k. Are you confusing the sign-up bonus of 35k with the balance transfer bonus opportunity? This sounds pretty possible if you called in and you and the rep weren't communicating well. If that's all, then it's just miscommunication. Call in to another rep and confirm the 35k on first spend and optional balance transfer promo up to $10k.

That said, I'm not a fan of the balance transfer part. I don't like buying miles at $.01 each which is the best you can do. I skipped it. I know it can be a good deal but I get so many miles from other ways that cost me near $0 that I just don't see a point in buying at $.01 each/

Now, if you did receive the Premier World card and you really did somehow get a strange 10k on $10k spend promo you might have a chance since at least you got the right product, just with the wrong promo code attached.

If that's the case, do it all in writing as this will be a little complex to fix.