FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wide-Body Carryon's
View Single Post
Old May 22, 2011, 2:41 pm
jasonvr

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
I've got a B&R widebody that I love. Didn't have any trouble getting it on board and into a Lufthansa plane from FCO to FRA (my only intra-Europe experience, but I'll have some more in July). Been on many planes in the US, from RJs (where it gets gate checked) up to widebodies. Never had any trouble getting it any overhead bin. Because it is a widebody, squeezing it into "left over overhead space" near the end of boarding could be an issue I suppose (as compared to narrower bags) but we all board early anyways, right Also worked just fine on various trains in Europe (Eurostar, TGV, and Italy).

As far as getting it down the aisle, I never roll mine (didn't even when I had a standard width). Too much hassle and it inevitably catches on something or someone no matter what I do, especially when the laptop bag is on top. I always collapse the handle just prior to getting to the door and carry it by the top handle, perpendicular to my body in front to me. Nice and speedy and makes for an easy push into the bin and getting out of the aisle so others can board and we can leave. Reverse the process for getting off the plane. It always annoys me (maybe I'm a bit crazy) to see people attempting to navigate their bag down the aisle and completely messing it up. Catching on something every three rows and then needing to back up and start again. And then standing in the aisle as the slowly unpack their pile to put it all away. I'm all about efficiency