FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My First Mac. How? What?
View Single Post
Old May 21, 2011, 6:40 pm
SQ421

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LifeTimeBronze
Neooffice (Openoffice for Mac). It's FREE. You will never need MS Office !!!
Another alternative I've been reading about is the LibreOffice. Definitely plan to give that a spin before shelling out for iWork.

To the poster who mentioned the 1on1 sessions at an Apple Store; definitely a great idea but the nearest Apple store is in Sydney, 300kms away so I don't see getting much use out of that. In that regard, I'll have to rely on Google.

I already use dropbox and chrome on my windows box so bringing over bookmarks and other "urgent" documents to the Mac won't be that much of a hassle.

I guess I will need to get my head around the long winded installation process of windows v/s the drag and drop way of install common in OSX; and some other changes, cosmetic or otherwise, mentioned earlier as a "windows detox".

I'll be the only user on the computer so just one admin account should suffice. I assume OSX has the windows like feature of having to click OK on the UAC screen before installing an application?

Thanks for the tips so far, folks. Keep them coming. And I promise to make my first flyertalk post from the new mac in this thread about how I went with getting it up and running...