FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "You're going to like where we land." UA's New Ad Campaign
Old May 20, 2011, 2:50 pm
goalie
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Originally Posted by goalie
Agreed and it's not rocket science....

Ad agency comes up with an idea
Said idea is promoted to the client
Client signs off on the idea
Ad agency runs the ad
BUT SOMEONE AT THE AD AGENCY NEEDS TO THINK ABOUT PLACEMENT OF THE ADS
Those ads might be going up in thousands of places. What mechanism do you propose to make sure they're appropriate in each? This is all about scale, and at some point unintended consequences are unavoidable, but greatly overshadowed by the benefits of the overall project.

Looking at my own marketing, what happens if I'm sending out a snail-mail piece on things you can do with your bike (increase its utility) and out of 10,000 flyers, a handful go to people now deceased and provide an especially sad reminder to a couple of wives or husbands who lost their partner in a bicycle accident? Should I have been going through the obits to look for people to remove from my list? Rather than callously just pushing a button to enable a standard campaign, damn the consequences? (Real-life example, by the way, and you feel terrible taking the phone call or visit from the spouse)

Mistakes like these happen every day, everywhere. Look for an opportunity to make a big deal out of someone's unintentional gaffe and you will find it. The question is, how does the company behind the gaffe deal with it? That's what determines, in my mind, the measure of the company.
Bolding mine: Yes, mistakes do happen every day and yes, your mailing list may include the names of folks who are deceased and also died in a bicycle accident but you (and no offense intended ) do not have the resources that an ad agency for a billion dollar corporation has. Ad placement is part of the job of an ad agency as XYZ Ad Agency wouldn't put an ad for "Whiteys Watermelons" in Harlem would they? (or would they if they didn't think about ad placement?)