FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Weekend of Old and New - Lufthansa first & business, Air New Zealand business
Old May 20, 2011, 12:32 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
MUNICH to LOS ANGELES (MUC-LAX) on Lufthansa A340-600 in first class

A modest walk to the gate. The extra security screening for US-bound flights that was in place last time I flew from Munich to USA is gone, but there was a passport check before the gate area to speed up boarding. Boarding started a couple of minutes after I arrived at the gate. Dang - there was enough time for another drink in the lounge.

I was soon settled into my seat, glass of bubbly in hand and reading some reports while boarding continued some distance behind me through door 2L. On today's flight the first class cabin was half full so plenty of space, particularly as the other 3 passengers had all chosen to sit in the first row.

The food, drinks, service, seat and entertainment were the usual you come to expect from Lufthansa. LH is a bit glacial in terms of improving things for customers, but in a glass half full mode this is good as "enhancements" also happen infrequently. That said, I noticed the IFE was showing different movies on the flight back compared with the flight over, despite neither flight being near the end or start of a month.

The flight itself passed in a blur of drinking, eating, attempting to sleep and failing, and drinking some more. Sitting at the rear of the cabin I was more easily able to watch the scenery go by without disturbing others. I remember when I first started flying longhaul and it was never a problem to have window blinds up on day flights. These days every airline seems to want to keep everyone in the dark so passengers can be more placid. There is an alternative way - keep the drinks flowing. Of course that doesn't work for all passengers.

We were a long way ahead of schedule and so took a circuitous approach along the coast, with stunning views as we banked left and right over the canyons, hills and city sprawl. Even so we touched down very early and I was looking forward to having enough time in transit for a shower.

We had a moderate taxi but stopped on a taxiway for half an hour due to congestion at the terminal. So much for arriving early.