FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old May 18, 2011, 1:30 pm
w.sg

dive centre is still called blue journeys. not too sure about tom. I am rather inspired to learn to dive after this trip.

According to resort staff, Dhonis (a traditional boat) serve the nearby islands such as Kondey and Germanafushi. He uses it to return home on his off days, a 20-minute ride from the hotel for US$5 one way. However, the leisure concierge did not seem keen to have me booked on the Dhoni when i enquired about it. (they mentioned it does not exist). I was more keen to visit the islands the same way the locals did (and save US$250/pax)

I received a bottle of french sparkling wine valued at about US$13. 3 red apples each day except on the last day when we had some grapes instead.

Internet - Hotel has spotty wireless reception at common areas (Restaurants, Bars) and no wifi at the beach.

Every villa is equipped with a 4 port Planet Wireless G router that transmits an unencrypted signal without the usual authentication pages. This was useful as i was able to sign in from multiple wifi devices at the same time. However, internet was a tad slow. Speedtest to a server in Male was 0.2Mbps down, 0.7Mbps up. Youtube and other high bandwidth sites sites are blocked but you can get around it easily by connecting to a VPN. Internet is decent enough to make a skype call, light surfing and emails.

According to the GM, they are looking into ways to get better connectivity. I guess the island is located too far from any modern civilization.

The resort has an in-house water distillation facility for both still and sparkling water. Each villa gets 2 one liter glass bottles which are sterilized and reused. According to the description on the bottle, this helps the resort to save 100,000 plastic bottles each year.

Last edited by w.sg; May 18, 2011 at 1:33 pm Reason: added more info