FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer Changes
View Single Post
Old May 18, 2011, 3:51 am
Blackcloud

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Red Roo
The increase in Cabin bonus benefits Platinum Members more significantly than other tiers, by virtue of the cabins typically flown. Platinum Frequent Flyers have a distinctly higher incidence in premium cabins, compared to other tiers.

In our last round of changes, we added a reward option of 50,000 points at 2400 Status credits, which has been extremely popular, in fact more popular than any of the other options available at 2400 Status credits.

Just to reiterate the point, Platinum remains a oneworld Emerald tier with access to the Qantas International First Lounge and Domestic Business Lounge. This has been a concern raised on AFF, so we just wanted to make this clear. Platinum One will involve the introduction of new benefits in addition to what Platinum Frequent Flyers have today.

I can't say too much at this point in time, but we are paying extra attention to Platinum Frequent Flyers for the upgrade process.

There has been work taking place behind the scenes on improving delivery of benefits, such as baggage delivery.
Sorry but the fact that Platinums benefit from higher cabin bonus is immaterial. That is a consequence of Cabin of Service (COS) NOT FF Status. Also additional COS bonus is immaterial for Zone 1 travel as the minimum guarantee of 1,000 for Economy and 1,250 for Business is NOT changed by the "enhancements".
The change to loyalty bonus is also not affected by status, it is just that Platinums to attain/retain status will achieve at least 1 lot more than Gold.
The fact that the 50,000 points at 2400 is so popular is probably an indication of the poor quality of the other offerings and the inflated redemption costs for QF.
What I wanted was recognition of status benefits with JQ instead I see vastly increased prices and a reversal of the value of the product which will take me back to NZ domestic and now retention of NZ Gold.
IMO these changes were designed by QF to keep the most vulnerable flyers, Silvers and Golds from DJ and I am thinking that it may have driven Platinums to accept the drop to Gold and to fly the competition when the value is better as the Business Lounges are not significantly better than the Qantas Club or THe Lounge.
I have no desire to go for Partner Gold or even Platinum One and appreciate the Platinum will retain some of its former Lounge Access, not that there are too many lounges in NZ.
Improve the lounge offerings, baggage priority, JQ recognition, upgrade process and better value redemptions.