FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Questions re award travel to Seychelles
View Single Post
Old May 17, 2011, 3:35 pm
Thunderroad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Questions re award travel to Seychelles

Sorry if some of my questions are rather basic. I'm new to this forum, but after a search I've either come up dry or the info seems potentially dated.

Basically, my wife and I would like to go to the Seychelles 12 to 18 months from now, traveling at least in J. If need be, we have a BA 2-4-1 award certificate (and AA and UA miles) that can get us part of the way there from SFO. (Actually, BA could get us as far as Mauritius, followed by a relatively cheap hop on Air Seychelles. But BA award availability in J to Mauritius is practically nonexistent.) Skyteam seems to be the only one of the three major alliances that could get us all of the way there on points. So I'm thinking of either going that route, assuming we can accumulate enough Skymiles in time and that award seats are available.

So my questions:

1. Am I correct in understanding that the two SkyTeam award options are via the AF/Air Seychelles code share from Paris and Air Kenya from Nairobi?
2. Unless I'm reading the award charts wrong, it can cost almost as many SkyMiles flying to SEZ from SFO (60K at lowest redemption level each way in J) as from Europe or Africa (50K). Do I have that right?
3. I've read reports about difficulties in redeeming awards at the lowest redemption levels. Might availability be much better if we simply tried to redeem from Paris or Nairobi as opposed to from SFO? And would we need to do so at the 330 day window, regardless? We might consider doing this option even though the SkyMiles we save would be minimal.
4. I've seen mention of an award plus miles option. Would this be possible for this kind of trip?
5. Anything I'm missing here in terms of options, obstacles, etc?

Thanks for any help!