FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - RTW Part3 HKG-NRT Cathay First Class
View Single Post
Old Feb 2, 2000, 8:08 pm
sarecca

RTW Part3 HKG-NRT Cathay First Class

I have to say that this "short" 3 hour and 20 minute flight was well worth the wait. I arrived at HKG airport after a great stay at the Regal Airport Hotel. Cx has their own first class check in station, at which the passenger stands opposite for the agent and as the agent checks you in, a touch computer screen tells you all about your itinerary and destination information. Very high tech. After this brief check in process, I did a bit of shopping, and then the treat of a lifetime... THE WING. This is the first and business class lounge at HKG for Cx. What a remarakable facility. After you enter the First Class lounge you are invited to the first class restaurant where waiters are ready to serve you ANY drink, as well as invite you to the buffet where dim sum, noodles and a western breakfast were served. There were private cabanas here for freshening up, as well as private showers. A beautiful library as well as a plethora of places to relax were available. I venture to say that this is the largest airline lounge in the world.
From the lounge, I went down to the gate where my 747-400 was waiting. Upon boarding I quickly realized that this was Cathays new "Betsy" aircraft with a total of 12 seats in first instead of the usual 18. The seats are the most private of all of the sleeper seats that I have experienced. The personal TV was a 10 inch screen mounted on a movabale arm in front of you. After we took off, the attendant came around with a 45 videos which were available besides the video programming on the personal TV. Menu was a choice of western or japanese lunch. I chose the japanese lunch which consisted of sushi, broiled fish, vegetables and some of the best rice with nori that I have tasted. I also asked for some of the "western" appetizers of pate and shrimp stuffed tomatoes. Champagne was Krug, and wines included a burgnudy, bordeaux,and cabernet. The western lunch included a choice of sea bass, beef, or pasta served after an appetizer tray of smoked fish. Desert on the japanese lunch was fresh fruit, while on the western lunch was a chocolate and pear tart. The seats were very spacious. But actually the best part of this trip was the treatment from the flight attendants. Never have I seen such attention paid to the passenger. CX has to be congratulated for their efforts here. They are truly a great organization