FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Earn 40 SkyMiles Per $ Purchasing Gift Certificates @ Spa Finder.com (Through 5/31)
Old May 11, 2011, 1:23 pm
mooper

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by HikerT
Good deal IMO. Only concern for me is whether a click thru from big crumbs and/or using a 10% discount could invalidate getting the miles. Some discussion on pointsguy's blog that either of those would invalidate. Entering a discount code would seem to be more risky as it's clearly intentional on the part of the buyer (they put the code in), but referrals are not necessarily intentional (could have clicked thru hours before the purchase and come back) and the delta offer shows up regardless of what site you clicked thru.
Using a cashback or other miles/points portal will definately invalidate. The question of whether a coupon code will is more open, and someone posted on TPG site as follows:

HerSquier May 11, 2011 at 2:26 pm
I did the same thing, but after reading the fine print again I decided to call and ask. They directed me to corporate (866-569-0449) who told me that if you enter both a PROMO code and skymiles number, the skymiles will not post. So although everything goes through and it looks okay, the promo code will cancel out the points promotion.

May or may not be true, but I’d prefer not to chance losing the awesome deal on the miles to save the 10%.
I'd be extremely weary of using a coupon code with the miles offer, as the terms clearly state that the miles offer is not valid with other offers and the phone call detailed above corroborated this. It's very common for cashback and miles/points offers to be invalidated when used in conjunction with coupon codes, and the terms here seem to indicate this offer is in that same boat. Unless someone obtains clear information to the contrary, I wouldn't risk spending too much on this offer banking on the miles to post along with a discount code.

ADDENDUM:

Further evidence a coupon code will probably invalidate the miles can be found here. Note that cashback is invalidated for all of the offers where a coupon code is used. As cashback and miles/points back are treated the same way in terms of the affiliate systems, it follows that miles will be wiped out by the codes too.

Last edited by mooper; May 11, 2011 at 1:29 pm Reason: addendum