FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ways to get to Ketchikan from SEA
View Single Post
Old May 9, 2011, 7:58 am
mary_228

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Ways to get to Ketchikan from SEA

I know this may sound ridiculous, but I am trying to find out what I will do if my flight non-stop ORD-SEA is delayed enough that I ended up missing my ship. My flight is scheduled to arrive at 11 am on the day of sailing with two subsequent flights on AA later that day. I have booked this independently, so I would expect no help from the cruise line. I don't think AA would be obligated to help me, either. I have purchased trip insurance with a delay and interruption coverage up to $750.

The next port of call is Ketchikan, two days later, with the ship in port until 5pm. Last minute air prices are close to $500 one way. Driving is a 1100 mile trip along a very challenging route, although there will be three other adult drivers to help share the drive and the costs. Are there other (cheaper?) options (high speed ferries?, train to Yancouver, fly from there?) that might get me there in time? This is a 14 day sailing, so it might well be worth it to try to catch up.

I am not by nature a worrier, but I guess I'd like to have a backup plan. The total cost of this trip is $1355, so not that much money would be lost, and I'm not sure how much of my expenses would actually be recouped through the insurance. Plus, I would no doubt have to pay a $300 fine (Jones Act violation) upon boarding. I'm beginning to think I should pay a change fee with AA and come in the night before. I appreciate your thoughts.