FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Official Peanut Gallery Thread
View Single Post
Old May 6, 2011, 8:05 pm
rrz518

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Originally Posted by Orwaid
DontCallMeShirley - So if I understand you correctly all of the topics being discussed on Flyertalk should not be brought up, because after all, in the grand scheme of things, they are not important?

I was taught by my mother and father, and I taught my kids, to not try to force one's views onto another. But at the same time, do not let other people force their agenda onto oneself either.

So, to answer your question, if my child was the FA I had, I would be upset and would tell them. And if my child was the FA that told off-color jokes (as was mentioned by another poster), I would be mortified.

I don't make moans or sighs or any other gutteral noises if there are irrops. I recognize that such things do occur and are a regular part or traveling.

And I have repeatedly said that a joke or two is fine. But when it goes on and on and on, at the crack of dawn and no one is responding, they are pleasing themselves at the passenger's expense.

And I am an optimist. A pessimist would would just take it because they think there is no alternative. An optimist knows that things can and will get better, and will do what it takes to make things better.

homeboy4 -- I am not skirting the issue at all. I and many others on this thread feel that sometimes the joketelling by FAs becomes excessive. Why can't WN just tell FA's to limit the non-safety remarks to one or two jokes? In my case, I expected one or two. But when it became 4,5,6 ... it was almost like the FA wanted the safety briefing to last as long as it took to get to the active runway.

But to take your postulated numbers, if WN senior mangagement knew that 1/3of passengers thought there was excessive joketelling on their flights and that it was negatively impacting their choosing WN for air travel, they would do something about it.

And yes FluffyBunnyFuFu, I seemed to have opened Pandora's box here. But over 4K views in one week should tell people that this is a serious topic with serious ramifications, even if one does not agree with how I handled it.
To summarize:

I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, ad infinitum.

You are truly a magnificent hero. Thanks for sharing.

Sheesh.