FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Grand Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]
Old May 6, 2011, 12:59 pm
myperks

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Westin now often has rates lower than Shearton, and they (and to a lesser degree, the other newer starwoods) continue to have Cash and Point deals while Sheraton seems to have stopped altogether. I think one possible reason is that Sheraton is now full of tourist groups from China and from Japan. They made the hotel very corwded most of the time, particularly over weekends when it is hard to even walk from the elevators to the lobby; one has to fight the long lines of people jammed the walkway waiting for the buffet. It alost feels like in a crowded Las Vegas hotel at buffet time.
agreed... as i noted in my last trip review, the place is PACKED on the weekends, couldn't even get a table until the Executive lounge "butlers" got me in... there was a table next to the bell desk when i was there on a daily basis with 2 japanese tour group liaisons sitting there throughout the day, "billboards" showing which tour groups go where, and there were lots of mainland Chinese tours at the hotels as well.

now that this prop is a Cat 4 with little or no C+P, it seems that the Westin is now a better choice, even though i still believe the lounge at the Sheraton is better than the Westin....

service here at the S/Taipei has always been good for me and have stayed consistent throughout the years, even when the property was full. well taken care of here (and at the Westin, but stayed here this round because I booked my stays when it was still a Cat 3 ).

now that every Taipei SPG property (other than 4P) is a Cat 4, its time to go back to check out the Westin (lots of C+P availability), the W (no lounge but an awesome pool scene), or the Le Meridien (never been but walked past it on the way to 101).