FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Grand Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]
Old May 5, 2011, 7:39 pm
Guava
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fruit
Just to confirm, Sheraton Taipei moved to Cat 4. I was checking on booking the place and noticed the change too. Very disappointed as this is an older (renovated) hotel compared to the other new Starwood properties that are opening.

I have to second previous poster on service. Service is definitely good here. Although there were hit and miss moments. BUT overall much better then other Starwood properties in the US.
With other SPG properties in Taipei also Cat. 4 and newer, there is little justification to stay at the S/Taipei on points unless you are not using an award and the rate is decent. Service at the S/Taipei can be quite inconsistent and at times, frustrating. A close colleague of mine recently returned from Taipei and told me how a confirmed upgrade to Suite and late check-out via Platinum Concierge was later relinquished upon check-in with the latter due to "your room was already assigned to someone else who requested an early check-in". That's not a valid reason to deny 4PM late check-out. After following up with the hotel management, the hotel admitted the front desk erred, especially the part about 4PM late check-out. Other than apologizing, the hotel totally refused the guest's request for a 3,000 Starpoints in compensation. Supposedly, that's after he wrote e-mails to a Front office manager, then the GM and the GM promptly denied the request without giving any reason. So my colleague escalated this SPG Corporate, they apologized, and admitted it was not up to their expected standards and the Corporate intervened and credited him with 4,000 points instead. He used to stay at this hotel quite often but it seems as though this hotel had change of GM last year and things have gone downhill since including the downgrades in the Club Lounge that many are reporting. In the past, it made sense to consider this property but now that it's also Cat. 4 and the Westin also has a lounge for those who care, + it's newer, there is no reason to favor this property anymore, not with what seems to be happening lately.