FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Grand Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]
Old May 4, 2011, 10:52 pm
myperks

2 Stays in the past weeks

This is my choice hotel when I'm in Taipei. My postings in this thread are mostly the same, but here it is again since I last posted...

Arrival/Check-In

1st Stay - Arrived from the US at 6am, got to the hotel at 830a and was told my room was already prepared for my arrival according to my estimated time of arrival noted in my reservation ^. Room was upgraded to a Director's Room (my choice type as noted in my profile even though I know Diplomatic is upgradable based on availability.) Bell desk took my bags and told me I had packages received by the hotel and will be delivered to my room along with my bags. Welcomed back to the hotel and gave a choice of Platinum amenities. Gave me the 2 standard welcome letters.

2nd Stay - Arrived in the afternoon from Taichung, got to the hotel and was greeted by the concierge that remembered me from my first stay a week ago. Checked-in and was given a diplomatic suite (per my request when I checked out during the 1st stay, haven't stayed in one in a while). The rest are like my first stay.

Accommodation
Always a good choice in Taipei. The Director Room use to have the swivel TV that "separated" the living area and bed area. Not anymore. Other than that, same as before, large bathroom area with L'Occitane amenities.

Diplomatic Suite to me is just lke a Director Room except for a separated living and bedroom area and a guest bath.

Executive Lounge
I know I'm repeating myself from other posts, but this is one of the better lounges in Asia. The executive lounge attendants, greeters, and cooks seemed to have change since last year (maybe some went over to the Le Meridien). The selections are good, not great as before. Still 8+ hot dishes for breakfast and dinner "happy" hour", salads, fruits, cook-to-order of the day, open bar, drinks, etc. Afternoon tea did not have any many selections as before but was sufficient with drink bar, fruits, snacks, fruits, and small sandwiches.

Staff here are phenomenal as always.

Recreation
The fitness center on the 17th floor, although not big, was sufficient with updated fitness equipment, some with personal lcd TVs. If you forget fitness wear, you can borrow them from the fitness center front desk.

The pool on the 18th floor is not heated, so i didn't use, although it might be refreshing during a hot Taipei summer day.

Men's locker room had massage chairs, lockers, sauna, jacuzzi.

Kitchen 12
Had dinner at Kitchen 12 one night at about 1000NT per person + 10%. Lots and lots of people. Need a reservation during weekend nights. I didn't know that, but the executive lounge called down and got me in somehow. Somehow even though the selections were big, it seemed I could have just saved 1000NT and ate in the executive lounge (ok, i was there with friends, so that counted for something). Good service overall.

There are other restaurants here but didn't try this time.

Concierge
Very attentive and responsive for requests. Was able to get exact directions in getting a prepaid SIM card for my 3G phone. Was able to find a place for laundry that didn't cost an arm and a leg. Was able to assist in planning dinner reservations at local restaurants. Normally I don't use the concierge but the staff here was really good.

Overall
Always a good experience. Good location right off of ShanDao Temple MRT station. Just a short stroll to Taipei Main Station. Love this property.