FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Official Peanut Gallery Thread
View Single Post
Old May 2, 2011, 5:26 pm
suranyi

Originally Posted by Orwaid
Suranyi, if you look closely at the WN schedule, I suspect that the 12 flights from OAK-BUR are in fact 1-stops from OAK to a lot of different cities with BUR as the intermediate stop. Buy doing this, they DO in fact cater primamrily to leisure travelers, with 1-stop through service to a lot of different cities, while at the same time keeping a few seats on each OAK-BUR shuttle flight for last-minute business travelers.

AS does this a lot on their ANC-SEA service. They are really 1-stop planes from ANC-DEN,ORD,DFW,MIA,EWR,BOS ... etc.
There are only six routes WN flies from BUR: OAK, SJC, SMF, LAS, PHX, and DEN (which they just started flying). They fly nonstop from OAK to LAS, PHX and DEN with reasonable frequency, and nobody would fly from OAK to SJC or SMF by way of BUR. (They probably wouldn't fly at all.)

There just isn 't a lot of cities you can get to with BUR as the intermediate stop, that make a lot of sense.

In any case, I fly this route a lot, and I don't see a lot of people staying on the plane in BUR.

I mean, contrast that with your example of AS at SEA, which is a big hub for them. They have flights to many cities from SEA.