FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: AA "instant upgrade" (-UP, YUP) fare discount First (master thd)
Old May 2, 2011, 4:27 pm
JumboD

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Microwave
Sometimes people are reaccommodated in F, sometimes they are not. I've read reports from others indicating that they were indeed told that Instant Upgrade tickets can be reaccommodated in Y with no accompanying refund. So maybe "not the case for me" would have been a more factual way for you to state it.
This happened to me a number of years ago, I was on a YUP and I got a call that the ORD-DCA portion of my MKE-ORD-DCA had been cancelled and would be put on another flight. This was pre-FT and I didn't know what questions to ask, so I arrived at MKE and was handed a BP for coach on the two-class flight (guessing that A inventory wasn't available). I handed it back telling the TA that I'd booked and paid for first, and if AA couldn't accommodate me I was certain UA or NW could (my ticket was fully refundable). A minute of typing, and then a new BP with F inventory listed on it "magically" appeared.