FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Lufthansa Upgrade With UA SWU Questions/Experiences" Thread [2010/11]
Old May 2, 2011, 12:49 pm
weezl

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Ticket counter is enough, no need to go airside.
To all: the LAX upgrade experience was successful. A couple of points to note:

1. The street-side check-in counter opened about 3 hrs 55 min prior to the 1st flight of the day, and there was a line by that time, although there were only 3-4 pax in the C and F lines.

2. None of the agents looked like they hailed from Germany but each was quite competent, and would not be considered hired guns that don't know the workings of LH upgrades, as is found in other airports/countries.

3. Despite there only being 8 of 16 seats usable in the upper deck of a non-reconfigured LH 747, I was able to get an upgrade to F with a paper cert, on a D fare. Given the line that eventually formed behind me by the time I left the check-in counter, I am not sure if I had waited to arrive my usual 1 hour before departure, that I would have been upgraded. (Having nobody next to you in F by the way is quite cool; you essentially can have a seat and a separate bed if you like)

Thank you all for your advice!