FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Clinic Thread – Why is BA’s award availability so bad? And why are the fees so high?
Old Apr 30, 2011, 6:58 pm
randomflyer

The time to try to get upgrade availability was ANYTIME before yesterday.

It was inevitable that many of the 2 billion people watching the royal festivities yesterday will now see London as a fab place to go on holiday as of yesterday. Count on it.

Some US travellers who don't frequent the UK or have never been are going to be coming NOW. Fortunately for us BA devotees, if they are not seasoned travellers to the UK, they will probably be drawn to their usual US carriers.

As they'd not have ever heard of BA in alot of places in the US.

But after yesterday, we are going to have a year in which getting a seat, any seat, might become the holy grail if BA start selling seats like mad right and left to those suddenly won over by the wedding and desperate to visit London.

Same thing happened after the wedding in 1981. I remember it well. Everybody suddenly became frantic to get to the UK, because they thought London was actually like the pictures they saw during that Royal Wedding. Air fares skyrocketed for a year and there were bums on seats in full planes.

Biggest travel advert in the history of the world yesterday. I've already heard a few people in my building talking about going this summer--who have never been.

They are actually of the mistaken notion that London looks like the place they saw yesterday with hundreds of thousands of loyal and charming native English, Scot, Welsh and Northern Irish folks they saw everywhere. I won't spoil their fun. They'll find out when they get there. LOL

But yesterday's goings on I do believe are going to make the going rougher for those of us UK travel veterans and business folk who are looking for seats, and especially upgrades.