FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Maldives Vacation - Need SPG Points Quickly...
Old Apr 30, 2011, 12:05 pm
aap

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by kenban
You can actually get 60,000 for the regular hhonors amex. See this thread. The thread and the application says 62,500 never figured out the last 2,500 I think its for getting a second card tied to the account. Plus this card has no annual fee and gets you silver status just by getting the card.

You can sign up for the hhonors MVP program and get gold status with 4 stays. Although the free gold with the surpass is a great deal and if you spend $40,000 a year you can get diamond with no hotel stays.

The ability to convert AA miles to HHonors points is provided by AA not any card. Its basically 6 miles to 10 points. Up to 150k miles (250k points) a year. But you say your wife has 200k miles as well so you can each convert up to 150k and put them into the same account.

May 31 to June 5th by my calculations thats 5 nights so 195,000 hhonors points (4 night axon award + 1 single night award).

Personally I would say stay at one of the hilton properties. Get one of the hhonors amex cards, then transfer what points you still need from AA. Should be nice and simple.
Thanks Kenban. I applied for the Hilton Amex card you mentioned. I received 20K right away, and the other 30K will arrive when my statement cycles ($500 spend required).

Also, you get the extra 2,500 points if you get a 2nd card for a family member. Wish I had known that, but it was not disclosed until I called to activate the card.

Now, I need to look into moving some Amex miles over to Hilton. Does anyone know how long that process takes?