FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Canadian SPG American Express
View Single Post
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:30 am
TreeBoy

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Gold, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by SPG Junkie
+1. Just got a new card with chip. I consistently get an error when the chip card is inserted. It consistently has happened ever since receiving the chip card about a week ago. I've primarily used it in restaurants when I get the error, used both recently in Winnipeg and Vancouver. Interestingly, the chip card works at gas stations.
Sadly I have the same experience with the new Amex SPG chip card since day one. On first day the chip did not work at 4 vendors. It worked basically only at the Post office when I changed the PIN.
Called Amex and CSR suggested chip is faulty and ordered card replacement. I have waited 2 weeks for new card and it does not work any better. Last night I went for anniversary dinner with my wife and the restaurant couldn’t make the chip or the mag stripe work. I ended up using my M/C.
So after this AMEX “security improvement” I not only need to look for vendor accepting Amex, I need also select those that can work around the chip. Amex should work hard with the vendors to make the chips work in the card readers; otherwise it will cost them business and us points.